Beta Epsilon

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:34 PM

I found this on the internet. A recollection of Beta Eps' history.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#2 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:37 PM

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#3 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

Posted Image
Logo of Beta Epsilon

#4 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:46 PM

Some Beta Ep photos

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:48 PM

The Beta Epsilon Fraternity

Beta Epsilon, the Brotherhood of Engineers, is the first college-based fraternity to be established at the University of the Philippines. Founded on August 23, 1929 by nine pioneering scholars, athletes and student leaders, Beta Epsilon has been a second home to the best and brightest from the U.P. College of Engineering.

True to its aim of promoting the interests of the country, university and college while enhancing closer relationships among its members, the fraternity has engaged in activities that reflect its own credo of scholarship, excellence and service even beyond engineering. These tenets continue to motivate the actions of Betans, individually or collectively, through the years.

It is not surprising that today Beta Epsilon is still the only fraternity that has been awarded the Wenceslao Q. Vinzons Achievement Award. This was given in 1962 by the university student government in appreciation of the completion and turnover of the Beta Epsilon Way, still the crown jewel of all the fraternity’s projects for the university.

In 2005, at a ceremony held at the UP Board of Regents room, UP President Emerlinda Roman awarded the Best Fraternity Trophy to Beta Epsilon. It was given to the fraternity, to quote the UP press release, “in recognition of its outstanding contribution to the University of the Philippines”.

The construction of the Beta Epsilon Way was only the beginning. In 1969 Beta Epsilon built the Beta Gate of the Children’s Playground project of then UP’s First Lady Mrs. Maria Lopez.  Several years later, on UP’s 75th anniversary, Beta Epsilon gifted the university with the Beta Theatrum,

The E-Beta Way, or the Engineering Library Internet Service and Computing Facility, came next in 2001 when Beta Epsilon networked several computers that provided a pathway to the world.

In 2006 the fraternity turned over to the College of Engineering a state-of-the-art multimedia hall  with broadband connection for videoconferencing which has seen its usefulness to the faculty and students ever since. The fraternity has also donated endowed classrooms.

But it is not only in facilities that Beta Epsilon concretized its aims. It also sponsors the now 35-year old annual quiz show for freshmen, the Blockbooster. There is also the Maskipaps entertainment program held on Engineering Week that has been running for 30 years.

To promote scholarship and excellence, Beta Epsilon put up a trust fund in 1988 that supports the annual Dominador Ilio Award for the Most Outstanding All-around Engineering Graduate. In 2003 the fraternity initiated the Seven Most Promising Engineering Students  Awards for sophomores who have excellent records in the first two years. The fraternity has also put up the Beta Epsilon Professorial Chair and the Prof. Dominador Ilio Professorial Chair.

For the UP community Beta Epsilon has been providing the finale activity of the annual Lantern Parade since 2003, the fireworks. At the launching of the UP Centennial year on January 2008 Beta Epsilon thrilled the UP community and guests with a grand and spectacular fireworks display.

Beyond the university, alumni of Beta Epsilon have served as leaders of industry, especially in construction and manufacturing, and as leading lights of the public works and utilities groups of the government. Many have served in the academe as professors and deans.

All these undertakings and achievements have been made possible by the strong unity of the members of Beta Epsilon in the pursuit of the aims of the fraternity defined 79 years ago. Wherever they are --- in the college as resident members and in many countries and cities as professionals  – they exert efforts of will to flesh out the aims of the fraternity#

#6 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

Catching Up
By Salvador C. Kwe II 2000

Having entered the Fraternity in its 71st year in October 2000, I have had the great fortune of observing in action some of the more “prominent” young Betans who were a good couple of years ahead of me, both in U.P. and in the Fraternity. New as I was, as we all were, I was fortunate that these experienced souls taught all of us younger brods, in one way or another, a thing or two about life in general, and the Beta Epsilon in particular. And as I see the old guards move ahead to their professional lives after college, and the young guns take their place, I am reminded that the glory and prestige the Fraternity enjoys today is in no small part owed to the sacrifices those resident brods, now alumni, made during their time as guardians of the Purple Tower. Here are some bits of information regarding some, though not all, of these extraordinary brods whom I have had the good fortune of knowing in my three years here in Beta Epsilon.

First up, batches 95 and 96. Gelio Banta ‘95A, who was the MEB in 1998, Manny Baldeo ‘96A, MEB 2000 and Jundel Llagas ‘95C who, along Pablo Dumlao ‘99A, are perhaps among the most visible young alumni among the current crop of residents, perhaps due to their perpetual presence in the residents’ weekly basketball games. Gelio is now with Black and Decker, Jundel with Ramcar, while Manny works for Koldstore. Alvin Balintec ‘95A and Ones Almario ‘95A are now taking up their graduate studies here in UP Diliman. Alvin, who works over at San Miguel, is taking up a Master’s Degree in Technology Management (MTM) while Ones has his hands full with married life, his MWSS job, and his MS Civil Eng’g degree. Aris Manuel ‘95A, who recently hurdled the tough Architecture Board Exams, now has his own I.T./Web Development company, along with another brod, AK Liao ‘97B, son of former Sweetheart Nelia Sancho.

Batch 95B’s Bingo Miranda and Oger Camigla are in contrasting jobs, although both graduated as GE’s. Bingo is also with Koldstore and is taking his MBA in La Salle, while recent Board passer Oger is a practicing GE with the DPWH in Bulacan. Norman Manguinao ‘95C, the part-time Tagaytay politician, recently passed the CE Board Exams. He worked for the late great Domeng Toledo ‘64 in Mindanao, helping build a couple of SM Malls down south in the process. His two other batchmates, Tantan Releñas and Isa Cruz own part and parcel of Infinite Intelligence, a burgeoning Tutorial and Board Exam Review Center located in the heart of Greenhills. Also a main incorporator is Sol Montano ‘95D, 2001 GE board topnotcher who religiously comes to UP now and then to locate potential reviewers.

Renren Custodio ‘95E, who comes home every couple of years, is a US Marine who served aboard the USS __________ in Bush’s recent bomb-Iraq campaign. Mike Salazar ‘96A, and Bingoy Reyes ‘96D are both practicing GE’s, with Mike taking his post-graduate studies here in UP at the SURP. Brian Dy ‘96C, son of Rolly Dy ‘71, is with his ka-batch Paolo Melendres ‘96C working in Ortigas. Robbie Jacobe ‘96D is with Gold’s Gym in Makati, while his ka-batch Jonie Yap is with third-gen Scotch Consunji ‘96A, MEB 1999 in DMCI. CE grad Don Loong ‘96B recently got married in Zamboanga, with Rollo Mauricio ‘69 and Scotch Consunji ‘96A as ninongs.

Moving on to batches 97 and 98, Elridge Gammad ‘97A, the ka-batch of the current MEB, is now in the construction business. Hap Junghan ‘97B now works for another brod, Tony Austria, in his firm, while batchmates Joie Eva ‘97B and Gary Viray ‘97B are also both in the ICT/Web business. Marvin Bon ‘97C, is still with AHEAD Reviews/Tutorials in Greenhills, while ka-batch JP Moral is with ASTEC. One-man batch Manny Nova ‘97D is with Intel, Von de la Peña ‘97E with a call-center in Ortigas, and perpetually young-looking Rex Dalipe ‘97E is with the family business.

For the batch 98ers, we start off with Abet Casas ‘98A, ranked number third in the April 2001 ECE Board Exams, now working over at Globe Telecom. His ka-batch Men Valencia ‘98A is a freelance IT/Web expert, and Ejie Agoncillo is now finishing his degree in Adamson University. The second-gen batch, ‘98B, has two members now working in Makati, Junjun Salazar with BPI and Kevin Paynor with Sykes Asia. ‘98C’s TJ Soto, fittingly with Purefoods Hotdogs, while ka-batch Leo Singson is in hi-second year at U.P. Law.

Lastly, we come to the younger alumni brods from batches 99-2001. Pablo Dumlao ‘99A is his dad’s Chief of Staff over at the MWSS, while ka-batch Romy Garcia is now taking his Masters in Technology Management here in U.P. ‘99B’s Carlo Alzona is with Meralco over in Ortigas. For the millennium batch of brods, Victor Lantin 2000A, entered the Army Reserves, and is now a non-commissioned officer. Paul de Jesus 2000C is with a semi-conductor company in Ortigas, while my ka-batch Najeeb Irtaza 2000D, the Frat’s first Pakistani brod, is now enjoying himself in London before starting his post-graduate degree. His recruit, Ace Castillo 2001A, most noted for finishing Chemical Engineering in 4 years, is with a pharmaceutical company in Laguna.

As the Fraternity approaches its Diamond Jubilee, the fine tradition of excellence and brotherhood these past 75 years is in no better way continued by the example these fine young Betans have given the current crop of residents, all for the glory of Beta Epsilon.

#7 The Argo 1932

The Argo 1932

Proud Argonaut

• Members
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

With all due respect Admin, I believe that this thread belongs to the UP Community section. Thanks!

Stupidity is not the lack of knowledge, but the illusion of having it.

We VALIDATE the Greatness and Glory of The Fraternity not through FALSE BRAVADO.

We rather defend the letters that we wear through facts, performance, and logic. Deal with it.

"Sail on, sail on, ye Argonauts, the Truth for each of you is there, for you to find. As you find it, so will you find the common good."

There are gangs and there are pseudo-frats... then there are fratmen and there are U.P. Fratmen... and finally, there are The Argonauts of U.P. Diliman.

Since 1932. Nothing more. Nothing less. No one else.

#8 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:27 AM

Noted.

#9 The Argo 1932

The Argo 1932

Proud Argonaut

• Members
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:47 PM

Just a point of clarification to the new readers of this thread: This thread was originally from the "Other Fraternities" Section and then I requested Admin to have it transferred to the UP Community Section.

Now that there is a section for Engineering Fraternities, Admin placed this Forum here.

Have to clarify. Mahirap na. Baka iba maisip ng mga Betans kapag nakita nila yung unang post ko rito.  ;)

BTW, last August they celebrated their 83rd Anniversary. Congrats!  :)

We VALIDATE the Greatness and Glory of The Fraternity not through FALSE BRAVADO.

We rather defend the letters that we wear through facts, performance, and logic. Deal with it.

"Sail on, sail on, ye Argonauts, the Truth for each of you is there, for you to find. As you find it, so will you find the common good."

There are gangs and there are pseudo-frats... then there are fratmen and there are U.P. Fratmen... and finally, there are The Argonauts of U.P. Diliman.

#10 Jones of Council 6956

Jones of Council 6956

Sir Knight

• Members
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Technology.

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:03 PM

Hello, saan po itong Beta Epsilon Fraternity chapters? meron po Baguio? =]

#11 The Argo 1932

The Argo 1932

Proud Argonaut

• Members
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:59 PM

As far as I know the beta epsilon of UP Diliman doesn't have any other chapter. However, I think I read somewhere that there is another beta epsilon in some area in the south. I'm pretty sure they are not related.

#12 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:43 AM

http://betaepsilon.o...eta Epsilon.pdf

#13 kurisbeta

kurisbeta

Neo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

i'm a member of phi beta epsilon. our elder brods told us one of our founders is from up beta epsilon. i'm not sure if it is juan sornito or celestino javier. we have no affiliations with beta epsilon. we are also an engineering fraternity and we are based here in Iloilo city. try to check our websites: betans.com and cpubetans.tk

#14 kurisbeta

kurisbeta

Neo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

sir admin could you please also include our fraternity in the engineering frat section?. thanks so much.

#15 kurisbeta

kurisbeta

Neo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

also check this page.thanks. http://www.phibetaepsilon.net/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users