Phi Beta Kappa Philippines (PBK)

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:56 PM

Does Phi Beta Kappa in the Philippines has a legal relationship with Phi Beta Kappa USA?

#2 Kapatid_01

Kapatid_01

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:gimix

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:57 PM

admin, on Oct 6 2008, 02:56 PM, said:

Does Phi Beta Kappa in the Philippines has a legal relationship with Phi Beta Kappa USA?

nope.
Faith in God gives meaning and purpose to human life;
The brotherhood of man transcends the sovereignty of nations;
Economic justice can best be won by free men through free enterprise;
Government should be of laws rather than of men;
Earth's great treasure lies in human personality;
And Service to humanity is the best work of life.

#3 geek101

geek101

Initiate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:30 PM

wala po silang kinalaman sa Phi Beta Kappa International...

speaking of Phi Beta Kappa Philippines, haha... wala lang. hindi ako Kappa pero madami akong kilalang Pioneers nun. napanood ko pa kung paano hazing rituals nila sa mga highschool students. naks!

#4 KFBrpbetaeta03-1

KFBrpbetaeta03-1

Initiate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:52 PM

hazing in my high school?

i remember the days nung high school kame we initiated college students

back to the thread subject matter...

Does any one have any information about Phi Beta Kappa Philippines National History?
"From the outside looking in you can never understand,
and from the inside looking out you can never explain."

#5 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:10 PM

KF, anong Highschool frat mo?

#6 KFBrpbetaeta03-1

KFBrpbetaeta03-1

Initiate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 07:13 AM

admin, on Nov 7 2008, 09:10 PM, said:

KF, anong Highschool frat mo?

Just some local youth organization that my friends pioneered and brought to school... It grew fast that we had around 40 members on one-year level and some college students got initiated aswell... Sadly it got eaten up by politics(internal and external) at the same time the influential members of the chapter left the organization and joined up other more formal college-only fraternities. With internal and external politics hurting the local chapter and influential members leaving to join other organizations; other members became inactive while others followed what the influential members did hence they joined other organizations not necessarily the same organization as the influential members joined in... Technically it was a story gone bad and it died... Ang ganda ng memories doon noon our chapter had two colonies... One colony was all-girls, the other colony was co-ed, and the main chapter all-male... Technically 3 schools one chapter yun

Why the politics? The main chapter interfered with our operation somehow suspended our president... due to conducting initiation without the proper officers needed present... Probably direct HQ interference happened because we were growing too fast and was gaining too much influence as a chapter in the organization hance HQ did politics on our chapter.

#7 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:15 AM

anu pangalan?

#8 KFBrpbetaeta03-1

KFBrpbetaeta03-1

Initiate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:13 AM

off the tread topic na tayo lols
message me and i will tell

#9 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:51 PM

reason i ask is i want to split the topic since off topic yung ibang posts.

#10 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

according to greekwatch PBK philippines uses copyrighted Phi Beta Kappa materials without permission. totoo ba ito? also bakit sa US puro pawang honor students ang PBK dito mukhang gang? see pics and other info here:

http://www.pbk-ph.cjb.net/

#11 19momon68

19momon68

»──TRISKELION──»

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:52 PM

ou admin dami xerox copy lng na frat dito sa pilipinas kinopya lng sa US... ;)

FORTIS-VOLUNTAS-FRATERNITAS

#12 naraht

naraht

Grand Master

• APO
  • 482 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:52 AM

I have talked to a Phi Beta Kappa employee at their National Headquarters in Washington DC (about 10 miles from where I am right now). They are in the processing of taking legal action against (suing) the group calling themselves Phi Beta Kappa of the Philippines in order to make them go away.

Phi Beta Kappa is an honor society in the United States and for Phi Beta Kappa the *School* and its administration apply to have a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa at their school. A group of students wishing to have Phi Beta Kappa at their school would be told to go to the administration and have *them* decide if they want to apply.

Right now Phi Beta Kappa only has chapters in the United States, however there has been at least one Canadian University which has considered application and would be considered the same as a US University if it did so.

So, *FAKE*.

Randy

#13 service oriented

service oriented

hindi lahat ng pogi artista,marami din SRB....yung iba nasa chap

• SRB
  • Others: Members
  • 1,556 posts
  • Interests:leading my friends to render service

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:16 AM

TSK TSK....cant understand why these copycat frats have to copy if they can ask for a chapter or better yet found something truly FILIPINO.atleast thier founders will go down in thier history with honors.
19 SCOUTS ROYALE BROTHERHOOD FOREVER 75
national service fraternity & sorority incorporated

the unbroken circle of brotherhood
www.srb-lfs.org

Do A Good Turn Daily.......

#14 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:28 AM

i blame colonial mentality. sigh.

#15 LEGIONNAIRE

LEGIONNAIRE

Neo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:51 AM

Phi Beta Kappa in the Philippines, absolutely a phony!

#16 DestroCrass

DestroCrass

Neo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:10 PM

Bigatin mga PBK sa US. Kasi matatalino. Haha. :lol:
<div align='center'><!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#C0C0C0--><span style="color:#C0C0C0"><!--/coloro--><!--fonto:Tahoma--><span style="font-family:Tahoma"><!--/fonto-->ADIOS.<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>

#17 duckcity

duckcity

Alumnus of Delta Upsilon 2004

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Hanging around with my alumni and undergraduate brothers!

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:06 PM

Q: Why are fraternities and sororities considered Greek?

—SB & CB

A: Pretty much the only thing Greek about fraternities is their names, which usually consist of two or three ancient Greek letters. They owe much more to the rites of Freemasonry than they do to the land of Homer.

College fraternities are American inventions that have their origins in literary and debate clubs formed on campuses in the early 1700s. Back then, colleges were rigid places that taught only religion and the classics.

These clubs let students discuss novel, contemporary themes and subjects with unprecedented freedom of speech, and often from a humanistic angle.

Steeped in Greco-Roman studies, the students often gave their clubs names inspired by classical heroes or ideals: the Ciceronian Society, for example. Many of the clubs were secret, because colleges often viewed them as threats to academic power.

Around 1750, an especially secret club appeared on the campus of the College of William and Mary in Virginia. It was known as F.H.C., an abbreviation of a now-forgotten Latin phrase. Thomas Jefferson was a member; he noted the group accumulated a fine library, but mostly just drank at the local tavern and had many a “Debauch.”

In 1773, a similar group known as P.D.A. (another Latin abbreviation) sprang up, only to quickly degrade into a drinking club as well. Intrigued by these failures, student John Heath in 1776 founded a similar but more serious group—one that still exists today in the form of the Phi Beta Kappa honor society.

Heath gave his club the Latin name Societas Philosophiae (“Philosophical Society”) and the Greek motto, “Love of Wisdom the Guide of Life.” To keep it secret in public discussions, members called it either “S.P.” (the initials of the name) or “Phi Beta Kappa” (the initials of the Greek motto). Eventually even the members forgot the group’s real name and took to calling it Phi Beta Kappa.

All fraternities since have followed this method of naming their clubs (usually inventing Greek mottos to back it up); they became known as “Greek-letter” groups. Or today, just “Greek” organizations.

Phi Beta Kappa also established the fraternity practices of secret rituals, pledge pins and the chapter system of expanding to other colleges—all borrowed directly from Masonic traditions. (Many members of Phi Beta Kappa were Masons.)

Phi Beta Kappa held serious debates on such topics as religious liberty, slavery and democracy.          
In 1826-27, three fraternities formed at New York’s Union College.

Kappa Alpha, Sigma Phi and Delta Phi, known as the “Union Triad,” became the models for the modern fraternity system: secretive and with Greek-letter names, but more social than scholarly. Such fraternities spread quickly and soon supplanted the old literary societies.
Delta Upsilon Phi Fraternity/Sorority

Viva Deltaphis and Deltas !!!!

#18 ChiDeltaSigma

ChiDeltaSigma

Grand Master

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:03 AM

admin, on Feb 27 2009, 05:12 PM, said:

according to greekwatch PBK philippines uses copyrighted Phi Beta Kappa materials without permission. totoo ba ito? also bakit sa US puro pawang honor students ang PBK dito mukhang gang? see pics and other info here:

http://www.pbk-ph.cjb.net/

I heard that US will file a case against the group here in the Philippines.Ano na kayang nangyari sa org na to?

#19 Pinoy

Pinoy

菲律宾

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:★Proud★To Be★

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:27 AM

ChiDeltaSigma, on Jun 25 2009, 09:03 AM, said:

I heard that US will file a case against the group here in the Philippines.Ano na kayang nangyari sa org na to?

baka maging incorporated pa cla. baka ipabalik sila sa school tapos dapat high grades sila

hmm. ano kaya teachings ng prophytes nila sa mga neophytes.
tinuruan ba sila bout history ng USA counterparts nila or hinde.

if fake nga talaga sila. ano feeling maging fake for ilan years na members? hirap kaya nun.
pero if ma defend nila name nila. good for them. legit na sila if ganun.

sana may member ng phi beta kappa of the Philippines mag comment d2.

dami questions ako  hehe XD
ProudTo Be
Noli Me Tangere
[Pinoy]
Touch Me Not
---------------------------------------------------------------------

#20 naraht

naraht

Grand Master

• APO
  • 482 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:50 PM

I was the one who mentioned the lawsuit and that was after talking to someone at the Phi Beta Kappa (USA)Headquarters.

Of all the Fraternities with names that are the same as the ones in the USA, Phi Beta Kappa of the Philippines seems the one with the most stress that they are members of the same group as the one in the USA and as far as I can tell, the most wrong about it.

#21 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:35 PM

goodluck though on filing the case here. if theyre not a registered organization with the Philippine SEC, PBK USA might find it next to impossible to find these guys.

#22 naraht

naraht

Grand Master

• APO
  • 482 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:16 AM

Admin, on Jun 25 2009, 10:35 AM, said:

goodluck though on filing the case here. if theyre not a registered organization with the Philippine SEC, PBK USA might find it next to impossible to find these guys.

Nope, not registered with the SEC. (or at least nothing I could find on the http://iregister.sec...et?param=search ).

All I've found are websites for a few chapters, and no addresses. I wish PBK USA luck, but I'm not sure I'd want to be the ones trying to track them down, or actually trying to sue.

Randy

#23 ChiDeltaSigma

ChiDeltaSigma

Grand Master

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:38 AM

naraht, on Jun 26 2009, 06:16 AM, said:

Nope, not registered with the SEC. (or at least nothing I could find on the http://iregister.sec...et?param=search ).

All I've found are websites for a few chapters, and no addresses. I wish PBK USA luck, but I'm not sure I'd want to be the ones trying to track them down, or actually trying to sue.

Randy

Actually even in the guestbook also of Phi Beta Kappa Philippines website , they`ve been accuse of Impostors.Some Filipinos posted there that they are not affiliated with PBK US and they still insist that former US Navy expand here in the Philippines.I don`t have any idea regarding it , by the way when do PBK Philippines started using the name?

#24 Pinoy

Pinoy

菲律宾

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:★Proud★To Be★

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:22 PM

idol ko pa naman ang ΦΒΚ at ΦΚΣ
pero bagay naman siguro ang PBK..
ang tanong
Peke Ba Kayo sa Pinas ?  

ask ko lang talaga. pls defend mga PBK-PH is meron ba

peace  XD
ProudTo Be
Noli Me Tangere
[Pinoy]
Touch Me Not
---------------------------------------------------------------------

#25 zunom

zunom

Grand Master

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:45 PM

hhhhmmmmmm...kawawa naman ung mga naging members ng PBK-ph kung talagang peke ung sinalihan nila...pero di mo naman masisisi ang mga naging member, kasi the one who is responsible talaga ay yung mga nag found ng PBK-ph,..pero di natin alam, baka legitimate talaga ung frat nila...kaso nga lng hindi honor students ung mga members...dba??

PBK-ph...kung member kau d2, defend urselves & ur thoughts about it.

peace

THETARHONIANS 89

#26 ChiDeltaSigma

ChiDeltaSigma

Grand Master

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:58 PM

zunom, on Jun 27 2009, 03:45 PM, said:

hhhhmmmmmm...kawawa naman ung mga naging members ng PBK-ph kung talagang peke ung sinalihan nila...pero di mo naman masisisi ang mga naging member, kasi the one who is responsible talaga ay yung mga nag found ng PBK-ph,..pero di natin alam, baka legitimate talaga ung frat nila...kaso nga lng hindi honor students ung mga members...dba??

PBK-ph...kung member kau d2, defend urselves & ur thoughts about it.

peace

THETARHONIANS 89

Actually matagal na silang nag exist siguro di lang naasikaso ang recognition.Pero if mag apply sila legally walang impossible na maapprove sila kasi di na ata basta basta iba nilang alumni as far as you see thier alumni list sa website nila,Parang matagal na rin silang nagsimula as PBK sa Pinas.

#27 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:00 PM

they can exist as a seperate unrelated but similarly named organization like ATO Philippines. they would however revert back to their own local history, traditions, and own identity.

#28 service oriented

service oriented

• SRB
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:00 PM

ChiDeltaSigma, on Jun 27 2009, 02:58 PM, said:

Actually matagal na silang nag exist siguro di lang naasikaso ang recognition.Pero if mag apply sila legally walang impossible na maapprove sila kasi di na ata basta basta iba nilang alumni as far as you see thier alumni list sa website nila,Parang matagal na rin silang nagsimula as PBK sa Pinas.
ang alam ko matagal na exixting yang PBK.the thing is,PBK ia an honor society in the US.im sorry but i dont know if the PBK phils.practice the same kind of membership(selective)?so,it means they will ever qualify to the standard.

You must be elected to membership in Phi Beta Kappa by the chapter where you received your bachelor's, master's, or Ph.D. degree. We must receive confirmation from the chapter before you can be registered as a member of the Society
(source PBK website)
does this mean that you must be a graduate student before joining? then,the concept of membership of PBK phils is all wrong.pls correct me if im wrong. tnx.

www.srb-lfs.org

#29 naraht

naraht

Grand Master

• APO
  • 482 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:57 PM

service oriented, on Jun 28 2009, 07:00 AM, said:

ang alam ko matagal na exixting yang PBK.the thing is,PBK ia an honor society in the US.im sorry but i dont know if the PBK phils.practice the same kind of membership(selective)?so,it means they will ever qualify to the standard.

You must be elected to membership in Phi Beta Kappa by the chapter where you received your bachelor's, master's, or Ph.D. degree. We must receive confirmation from the chapter before you can be registered as a member of the Society
(source PBK website)
does this mean that you must be a graduate student before joining? then,the concept of membership of PBK phils is all wrong.pls correct me if im wrong. tnx.

As I understand it, you receive an invitation to join Phi Beta Kappa as a Senior (4th year) in college. (I think even second semester senior). This is based on grades, not on any concept of being liked by other people who are in it. The chapters are run by the university...

Yes, the concept of membership of PBK phils is all wrong...

Randy

#30 service oriented

service oriented

• SRB
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:06 AM

naraht, on Jun 28 2009, 12:57 PM, said:

As I understand it, you receive an invitation to join Phi Beta Kappa as a Senior (4th year) in college. (I think even second semester senior). This is based on grades, not on any concept of being liked by other people who are in it. The chapters are run by the university...

Yes, the concept of membership of PBK phils is all wrong...

Randy
then they are more of a professional fraternity than a colligiate frat.

www.srb-lfs.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users