1 reply to this topic

#1 sillimanian

sillimanian

Fratman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:53 AM

According to Brod Master Jopet Laraya, GrandMaster Johnny Chiuten passed away at 5:00 p.m. today (Philippine time). He got the news from JC's daughter, Myla.

Johnny Chiuten has passed, but he will continue to live in our hearts, in all our martial arts training programs, in fraternity gatherings. His contribution to the Philippine Martial Arts in general and to the UP Beta Sigma in particular, will always be recognized.

JC is one of the very few Betans whose name appears several times in GOOGLE. Even the anecdotes about JC's colorful life could be found in one of the articles.

Johnny's body will join our other dearly departed, but his spirit will continue to live amongst us!!!

Excerpts from the book “The Power Within”, by Geoff Pyke and Phyllis Pyke (copyright 1993)

"The ‘old’ Johnny Chiuten fought as if he were a bullet with blades. He came at you smiling, fast, hands and feet whirling until you were reduced to helpless, aching confusion; angry at yourself and awed by the man who had mastered you. In those days, I once had the honor of sparring with Johnny in the company of about thirty other martial artists. There were times when he would take on all of us, one after the other or four at a time, teaching us while administering formidable demonstrations of speed and power. We were not such a bad bunch of street fighters, counting among us several national champions."

"Johnny Chiuten had his first lessons in Wu Shu from his grandfather in Canton. These consisted of breathing exercises and stances. Over the years, his fighting style has become refined and polished to a unique perfection. All excess movement has been discarded, leaving a clean irrestible thrust of amazing power. “My Ch’I,” says Johnny Chiuten, “is a very young Ch’i.”

"The famous Johnny Chiuten, renowned as all-around champion of all forms of martial arts was also Manila’s most notorious street fighter."

#2 Iron Bridge

Iron Bridge

Grand Master

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:12 AM

Can you share some of the anecdotes?  Including the one (JC) vs. six (rival frat) adverted to in one of the posts elsewhere in this forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users