Epsilon Tau Pi - The Eagle Scout Fraternity

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:42 PM

Posted Image

Epsilon Tau Pi is the premier Eagle Scout fraternity dedicated to brotherhood, service, and the principles of Scouting.

Brotherhood is very important within Epsilon Tau Pi.  The limited number of Eagle Scouts creates a tight knit organization of friends that share the same common experiences and many of the same goals for the future.  Epsilon Tau Pi builds brotherhood everyday through social activities such as camping, sporting events, barbecues and cookouts, canoeing, or just hanging out.

Service is also a large part of life in Epsilon Tau Pi.  Becoming an Eagle Scout is built upon service to others and it is such that Epsilon Tau Pi is built upon.  The brotherhood serves the community as well as the local Scouting communities as a way to give back to Scouting.

History

The fraternity was initially founded by Michael Hammes and Michael A. Mahon, who joined with six other students at the University of Dayton to become the Founding Members of the Alpha Chapter. This group of eight formally commenced operation of the Alpha Chapter on April 28, 1999; This date is celebrated by the fraternity as Founder's Day.[2]

In 2001, the Alpha Chapter authorized the formation of a 5-member National Executive Board. The board serves to support and bolster the expansion of the fraternity, as well as to support existing collegiate chapters.

In 2003, the Fraternity began to hold biennial convocations, where alumni and collegiate members alike could meet and conduct fraternity business. Officers and alumni delegates to the National Executive Board are elected at convocation.

Purpose

The fraternity was formed with several goals in mind. Foremost, the fraternity dedicated itself to upholding the high ideals of the Eagle rank. These include the ideals of Honor, Loyalty, and Courage, as well as service to others and to Scouting, the community, the university, and the fraternity itself. Members of the fraternity must maintain strict academic standards, in addition to participation in individual, group, and chapter-wide service projects

Merit Badge College

One of the more prominent activities of the fraternity is the Merit Badge College (MBC). The MBC is an annual event held at the University of Dayton, and offers scouts the opportunity to earn merit badges not otherwise offered outside of summer camps. Badges such as Chemistry and Art have the added advantage of college-level facilities, which scouts would not otherwise have access to. The program is held in three Saturday morning sessions, and scouts may complete up to three merit badges during the course of the event. In 2008, over 400 scouts attended the event

#2 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:49 PM

Naraht, how is this fraternity different from Alpha Phi Omega?

#3 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:55 PM

I wonder if it has any relation to a very old eagle scout fraternity which was housed at the Boy Scouts of the Philippines in the 1950s. I am of the opinion though that it is more likely that this Eagle Scouts Fraternity at the BSP is Alpha Phi Omega. I just found this on Ebay.

Posted Image

#4 19KB25

19KB25

Grand Master

• Members
  • 976 posts
  • Location:somewhere in ncr / somewhere in laguna / somewhere out there ahehehehe

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:04 PM

baka pinsan ng APO yan Epsilon Tau Pi ahehehehehehe. long lost relative, parang wish ko lang wahahahahahahahaha!...
who comes there?...

#5 suprimprat

suprimprat

Supreme

• Banned
  • Others: APO
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

Admin, further to your discovery, please also take note of the below:

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Some Hasty Conclusions:

A. Eagle Scout Fraternity is Alpha Phi Omega Fraternity. From 1950 – 1975 the national office of APO Philippines was with the Office of Godofredo Neric, Boy Scouts of the Philipinnes
B. Eagle Scout Fraternity predates APO but after meeting Sol Levy; BSP & Bado et al opt to adapt the name for uniformity with general practice of eagle scouts in the US wanting to start scouting based fraternities and told by the BSA to affiliate with APO instead.
C. Eagle Scout Fraternity is also a scouting based fraternity similar to Alpha Phi Omega but entirely seperate.

Any feedback from our senior scouters, senior members of Alpha Phi Omega and senior members of the craft would be much appreciated.
"A Scout is Clean but is not afraid to Get Dirty"

#6 naraht

naraht

Grand Master

• APO
  • 470 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:25 AM

I just noticed that I hadn't responded to this...

Epsilon Tau Pi was founded in 1999. It is limited to only those who have achieved the Rank of Eagle. Alpha Phi Omega was never limited in that way, Frank Reed Horton was never a Scout as a boy and several other of the 14 did not achieve Eagle.

In some ways they are more like the Knights of Dunamis which was an Eagle Scout Fraternity-like group which was transformed into NESA (which then eliminated most college chapters).

#7 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

Hi Naraht, can you post about Knights of Duramis here? Interesting reading, Thanks.

#8 naraht

naraht

Grand Master

• APO
  • 470 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

View PostAdmin, on 12 February 2011 - 08:55 PM, said:

I wonder if it has any relation to a very old eagle scout fraternity which was housed at the Boy Scouts of the Philippines in the 1950s. I am of the opinion though that it is more likely that this Eagle Scouts Fraternity at the BSP is Alpha Phi Omega. I just found this on Ebay.

Posted Image

Fascinating...

Let me know if you find out more. What would have been "Manila Chapter" of Alpha Phi Omega. It seems either too broad or too narrow. Also, from looking at the chapters it looks like Manila Council (however that is defined) would have contained half of Alpha Phi Omega until the early 1970s!

#9 naraht

naraht

Grand Master

• APO
  • 470 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:40 PM

View PostAdmin, on 12 July 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

Hi Naraht, can you post about Knights of Duramis here? Interesting reading, Thanks.

Primary source I have is
http://usscouts.org/...ety/knights.asp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users