- - - - -

Paano Kaya Nagsimula Ang Fraternity Rivalries Dito Sa Pilipinas?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Damean

Damean

Grand Master

• AKP
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

View Postmasigkano, on 23 April 2013 - 01:02 AM, said:

Sir admeen anung kumpletong name ng frat.na yang gammakins?

OT: Alpha Kappa Gamma
Posted Image

#32 yokababz

yokababz

Grand Master

• APO
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

Simple lang naman kung saan nagsimula...ang rivalry dito sa atin. Dahil yan sa mga members na hindi kayang ipakilala ng mahusay o dalhin and totoong adhikain nila kung saan mang frat sila kabilang. Madami dito nyan sa PF. Lalo na't hindi man lang maisulat ng tama and panaginip nyang frat sa kaniyang profile. Hehehehe.
"Our own lives, no matter how insignificant other people might think they are, are Hero's journeys. - Ronald Paul Ng"

#33 masigkano

masigkano

Grand Master

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

Tnx for info.damean.

#34 The Argo 1932

The Argo 1932

Proud Argonaut

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostGen. Artemio Ricarte, on 19 April 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

I think Filipinos are, by nature, tribal. We stick to our "tribes" and consider other "tribes" as a possible threat.  This is quite evident in our regionalism, among others. So perhaps the fraternity may be considered a substitute for a tribe for many Filipino males, and these members bring in the tribal mentality to their frat, which is "kalaban ang iba". Which I find really sad. Fraternities were meant to be different. They were meant to improve its members, not make them warriors.  The membership is reflective of the organization. But then again, it is the membership that determines the nature of the organization.

View PostIron Bridge, on 21 April 2013 - 01:17 AM, said:

The fraternity system was meant to exist within the context and framework of an educational institution.

The senseless violence began when kicked-out (whether due to bad conduct and/or failed grades) fratmen (with nothing else better to do while in campus) saw it fit to just make life physically miserable for rival fratmen (a significant number of whom were also kicked out).  Petty slugfests soon escalated to bloody rumbles. And it was only a matter of time before a fraternity rumble resulted in a violent death of a fratman.

The rest is history.

So the key once more is education.  Once fratmen no longer have studies to concern themselves with and they're still in campus, this is what happens.  What is worse are fraternities with no direct ties to an educational institution to begin with.

The above two posts reflect my exact sentiments. People now tend to have forgotten or are totally ignorant of why fraternities were originally founded in the first place.

The question here that needs to be qualified is what is your definition of the term "rival"? You see, a rivalry between two fraternities need not be of the violent type. So by definition, one can say that rivalry between Philippine fraternities was likely started by Rizal Center and Upsilon Sigma Phi. The way I see it, their rivalry hinges on getting the best students possible and setting up members for positions in the student government. The more honors its members accomplish, the better the fraternity is.

I may be mistaken but this is only based on what my very senior brods of the 40's and 50's told us by citing our founding members' stories during their time: The first rumble ever between two greek fraternities in UP was between TAU ALPHA and Beta Epsilon sometime in the 30's... because of a girl. I have names to go with that but I don't think I am at liberty to divulge such specific information. Most of our brods at that time were of the athletic type (being members of the various varsity teams) as compared to the more scholarly betans. You could just imagine the outcome of what happened... :rolleyes:
For as long as there are men of stout character, men whose eyes seek the truth, men who call each other brother and mean it, so will there be TAU ALPHA.

"Sail on, sail on, ye Argonauts, the Truth for each of you is there, for you to find. As you find it, so will you find the common good.

There are gangs and there are pseudo-frats... then there are fratmen and there are U.P. Fratmen... and there are Argonauts of U.P. Diliman.

Since 1932. Nothing more. Nothing less. No one else.

#35 Gen. Artemio Ricarte

Gen. Artemio Ricarte

Pasulpot-sulpot

• Demolay
  • 538 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

Hehe, mala Helen of Troy ba beauty niya, Argo?
International Order of DeMolay - 95 years of creating the leaders of tomorrow in 26 countries worldwide

Posted Image

#36 The Argo 1932

The Argo 1932

Proud Argonaut

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

View PostGen. Artemio Ricarte, on 08 May 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

Hehe, mala Helen of Troy ba beauty niya, Argo?

Malamang.

Ayon sa isa sa mga founder namin na varsity member ng boxing team ng U.P. :P
For as long as there are men of stout character, men whose eyes seek the truth, men who call each other brother and mean it, so will there be TAU ALPHA.

"Sail on, sail on, ye Argonauts, the Truth for each of you is there, for you to find. As you find it, so will you find the common good.

There are gangs and there are pseudo-frats... then there are fratmen and there are U.P. Fratmen... and there are Argonauts of U.P. Diliman.

Since 1932. Nothing more. Nothing less. No one else.

#37 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:06 PM

classic.

#38 19wEngz25

19wEngz25

VC

• APO
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Service :)

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

View PostAPOniLOLOatLOLA, on 23 April 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

Sorry im not intrested in any Filipino Greek fraternity. :D  Kahit sabihin mo na galing pa sa US ang frat nyo di magbabago ang kultura  na kinagisnan nyo. Filipinos will always be a Filipino. Ibang iba ang nature ng pag-ugali at pag-isip ng US APO sa inyo kaya wag kang magmagaling

kung hindi ka interested umlis ka dito sir !!!! naliligaw ka ata d po ito website ng ganster sir !! nagtatanong ka eh tpos sasabihin mo d ka interested !!!
Who comes there ???

#39 joms

joms

Triskelion

• TGP
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:WebDev, Video Games, Rock n Roll, Technology Stuff, Dogs, Digital Content...

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

Kaibigan wala na si APOniLOLOatLOLA banned na ang account nya. ;)
Stand Tall, Stand Proud Triskelion!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users