• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:32 PM

OPEN LETTER ON COLLEGE SECURITY AND SAFETY CONCERNS
http://tagulilong.bl...curity-and.html

At around lunchtime on Wednesday, January 28, 2009, an Upsilonian was attacked by two fellow-UP students while he was attending class inside the Very Large Classroom of the Electrical and Electronics Engineering building. According to his brods, the victim was hit on the head by lead pipes, causing injuries which require confinement for several days. The assailants managed to escape despite security presence but were allegedly identified to be members of Sigma Rho Fraternity.

The incident followed several weeks of rumors that an on-going frat war exists between Sigma Rho and Upsilon. Until the incident last week, both frats denied any hostilities between them.

To prevent further escalation of tension and in view of the fact that the two frats have substantial membership in the college, the Dean's Office has temporarily banned non-law students from entering the premises of the college, from last Saturday until the next few days. Security personnel will inspect IDs and strictly implement the NO ID NO ENTRY policy. Police officers will also continue to be detailed in different areas of the Law Complex.

This is apart from the Memorandum issued by the College Secretary on 23 January 2009 prohibiting non-law students and strangers from loitering within the UP Law Complex. The Memorandum was meant to address concerns from some students that quite a number of non-law students have been frequenting the college. Some students complained of parking problems while others claimed to have been intimidated by the mere presence of a group of unfamiliar faces along the walkways. There is also the fear that attacks, similar to what happened at EEE, might take place inside the classrooms—a reasonable fear given previous incidents in the college.

In response to measures from the College Admin to ensure the security and safety of everyone in the Complex, we at the Law Student Government Executive Board echo the call for sobriety and cooperation.

We call on our fellow students to be vigilant and to report any suspicious behavior. Please WEAR YOUR ID at all times. This is to assist security personnel in ensuring that only those with official business in the college will roam the halls of the complex.

We call on the frats concerned to AVOID TAKING ANY FURTHER STEPS THAT MIGHT PROVOKE UNNECESSARY VIOLENCE. We understand that a truce has been reached; our challenge is for you to live up to your word. If, at all, the urge to hurt each other is uncontrollable, please spare innocent students from the wrath of your vengeance. Please do not compromise our security with a show of your machismo.

We call on the heads of Sigma Rho and Upsilon as well as those of the other frats to POLICE YOUR RANKS. As law students, we should be first in making sure that the laws are followed by those over whom we exercise moral authority. We call on alumni brods of these fraternities, including professors in the college, to exercise your influence over your resident brods. Please do not encourage nor condone irresponsible and criminal behavior.

We call on the UP Administration to MOVE QUICKLY TO INVESTIGATE THE EEE INCIDENT AND ALL PREVIOUS CASES OF FRATERNITY-RELATED VIOLENCE. Let us not give aggrieved parties an excuse to retaliate solely on the basis of a perceived lack of action.

The LSG EB CONDEMNS ALL ACTS OF SENSELESS VIOLENCE, whether within our college or outside. There is simply no excuse for committing a crime, moreso, if law students, supposedly learned in the law and presumably law-abiding citizens, are involved.

The security and safety of the students, both affiliated and unaffiliated, is our primary concern. Let's do our part to end this cycle of violence. We've heard it said before, we are saying it now and we will continue to do so until our goal is met: END THE VIOLENCE. It's time to grow up.

LAW STUDENT GOVERNMENT EXECUTIVE BOARD 08-09

#2 proudBV

proudBV

Grand Master

• BV
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:25 PM

View Postadmin, on Feb 5 2009, 02:32 PM, said:

OPEN LETTER ON COLLEGE SECURITY AND SAFETY CONCERNS
http://tagulilong.bl...curity-and.html

At around lunchtime on Wednesday, January 28, 2009, an Upsilonian was attacked by two fellow-UP students while he was attending class inside the Very Large Classroom of the Electrical and Electronics Engineering building. According to his brods, the victim was hit on the head by lead pipes, causing injuries which require confinement for several days. The assailants managed to escape despite security presence but were allegedly identified to be members of Sigma Rho Fraternity.

The incident followed several weeks of rumors that an on-going frat war exists between Sigma Rho and Upsilon. Until the incident last week, both frats denied any hostilities between them.

To prevent further escalation of tension and in view of the fact that the two frats have substantial membership in the college, the Dean's Office has temporarily banned non-law students from entering the premises of the college, from last Saturday until the next few days. Security personnel will inspect IDs and strictly implement the NO ID NO ENTRY policy. Police officers will also continue to be detailed in different areas of the Law Complex.

This is apart from the Memorandum issued by the College Secretary on 23 January 2009 prohibiting non-law students and strangers from loitering within the UP Law Complex. The Memorandum was meant to address concerns from some students that quite a number of non-law students have been frequenting the college. Some students complained of parking problems while others claimed to have been intimidated by the mere presence of a group of unfamiliar faces along the walkways. There is also the fear that attacks, similar to what happened at EEE, might take place inside the classrooms—a reasonable fear given previous incidents in the college.

In response to measures from the College Admin to ensure the security and safety of everyone in the Complex, we at the Law Student Government Executive Board echo the call for sobriety and cooperation.

We call on our fellow students to be vigilant and to report any suspicious behavior. Please WEAR YOUR ID at all times. This is to assist security personnel in ensuring that only those with official business in the college will roam the halls of the complex.

We call on the frats concerned to AVOID TAKING ANY FURTHER STEPS THAT MIGHT PROVOKE UNNECESSARY VIOLENCE. We understand that a truce has been reached; our challenge is for you to live up to your word. If, at all, the urge to hurt each other is uncontrollable, please spare innocent students from the wrath of your vengeance. Please do not compromise our security with a show of your machismo.

We call on the heads of Sigma Rho and Upsilon as well as those of the other frats to POLICE YOUR RANKS. As law students, we should be first in making sure that the laws are followed by those over whom we exercise moral authority. We call on alumni brods of these fraternities, including professors in the college, to exercise your influence over your resident brods. Please do not encourage nor condone irresponsible and criminal behavior.

We call on the UP Administration to MOVE QUICKLY TO INVESTIGATE THE EEE INCIDENT AND ALL PREVIOUS CASES OF FRATERNITY-RELATED VIOLENCE. Let us not give aggrieved parties an excuse to retaliate solely on the basis of a perceived lack of action.

The LSG EB CONDEMNS ALL ACTS OF SENSELESS VIOLENCE, whether within our college or outside. There is simply no excuse for committing a crime, moreso, if law students, supposedly learned in the law and presumably law-abiding citizens, are involved.

The security and safety of the students, both affiliated and unaffiliated, is our primary concern. Let's do our part to end this cycle of violence. We've heard it said before, we are saying it now and we will continue to do so until our goal is met: END THE VIOLENCE. It's time to grow up.

LAW STUDENT GOVERNMENT EXECUTIVE BOARD 08-09

nagkakainitan na naman ang dlawang laging magkaribal.
magkakagantihan p yan!!! cgurado..

#3 fratman

fratman

Grand Master

• Members
  • Others: APO
  • 296 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:59 PM

2-1 daw ang score... Upsilon lamang...
Source: from both frats... my friends ako sa rosig at lonsi
<b>Friends change. Lovers leave. Brothers are eternal.</b>

#4 Sigma Rho Batch 92

Sigma Rho Batch 92

Fratman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:47 PM

Hahahaha....ang walang kamatayang away ng Upsilon at Sigma Rho. Haaay, memories, memories....

There was a time though (1999) where there was no conflict. Our Grand Archon, Jonathan Lim, and the Upsilon Most Illustrious Fellow Blas Viterbo* (along with APB Lord Chancellor Mario Zinampan*), happened to be friends. We even formed a political party (again) together, ran together, and the weirdest thing for me was to attend an Upsilon function with our Archon while junior Upsilonians were opening the beer for us.

*please correct me if i got the names wrong
Given the right circumstances, from no more than dreams, determination and the liberty to try, quite ordinary people consistently do extraordinary things” Dee Hock

#5 renegade

renegade

Fratman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:24 PM

Rhosig vs lonsi ulit! . 2-0 in favor of rhosig. Nakichismis ako kanina sa guard sa College of Law, sabi lang may bali-balitang nagkausap na yung dalawa.

May related post sa In The News.

Statement of the Law Student Government on the Sigma Rho-Upsilon Sigma Phi fraternity rumble

Greek-lettered societies started as Exclusive Honor Societies accepting only the best and the brightest into their fold. These groups were created to hone brilliance and excellence, their goals embedded in the very letters the Greek-lettered society stands for.

Seekers of the Right.
University Students’ Fraternity.

It is sad that the years have changed the culture of fraternities, like water on metal – rusting, eating away the noble ideals of a number who have chosen to stand together with a shared vision hoping for a better future for the generations to come.

The year 2010 is not an exception to this continuing deterioration. The events that happened this week have proven that the supposed ideals of these once great institutions are but mere lip service and that their word is no longer as good as their bond.

June 24 (Thursday)

A Sigma Rhoan allegedly parked his car at the AS Parking Lot, an informal tambayan of Upsilon Sigma Phi. A confrontation ensued but the dispute was later on resolved.

June 25 (Friday)

Members of the Upsilon Sigma Phi allegedly traversed the AS Steps, an informal tambayan the Sigma Rho Fraternity. An altercation took place but the UP Police were able to arrive before any exchange of force happened.

June 26 (Saturday)

An undergraduate student affiliated with the Sigma Rho Fraternity was allegedly injured in Intramuros, Manila. The student allegedly suffered three stitches in the head and one broken arm. Upsilon Sigma Phi denied any connection to this incident.

June 28 (Monday)

The Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs received reports anent the Thursday and Friday events. This was relayed to the Office of the Dean of the UP College of Law. The Dean called for a meeting between the two fraternities. Such meeting was witnessed by the College Secretary and representatives from the Law Student Government Central Board (LSG CB).

In the meeting “territorial boundaries” were agreed upon and the leaders of both groups gave their word that there will be no exchange of violence between the two whether inside or outside the university.

June 29 and 30 (Tuesday and Wednesday)

The LSG CB, as the mediating body, received complaints from both fraternities alleging threats coming from each side. They complained of roving cars around their residence and the collecting of addresses even after the “truce” on Monday. A Verification Committee composed of unaffiliated LSG CB members was created to receive and verify complaints alleging aggression or threats of aggression from both groups.

July 1 (Thursday)

Morning - The car windows of a Sigma Rhoan was allegedly broken in front of the Biology Department.

Evening - Two members of the Upsilon Fraternity, both students of the UP College of Law, were clobbered with lead pipes while in a case conference with their Supervising Lawyer at Shakey's Katipunan. Members of the police as well as the media arrived to record the incident. The Sigma Rho Fraternity denies any connection to this incident.

We, the LAW STUDENT GOVERNMENT CENTRAL BOARD, bewail the status of what these two Greek lettered institutions have allowed themselves to become.

We call on both fraternities to take responsibility for their actions.

We call on their Leaders to end this culture of impunity.

We call on the Members to take the first stand against violence, to have the courage to walk away from aggression and the temptation of avenging the “ego” and to be the better persons that they are.

We invite everyone to wear black on July 2 Friday, as we show our indignation against this cycle of violence and senseless hatred and hostility.

(Please be assured of your security, UP Police will be in Law starting 7 am. Members of either fraternity are also not allowed to enter the premises of the UP College of Law and the National College of Public Administration and Governance.)

#6 Buknoy

Buknoy

Vice-Admin

• Masons
  • Others: Root Admin
  • 4,161 posts
  • Interests:Climbing Rubber trees, Eating and smoking grass and eating alotta fishballs.

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:51 PM

Sa totoo lang, medyo nakakasawa na ang gulo nitong dalawang grupong to.  Hayaan na lang natin silang magpatayan at mag-ubusan ng lahi.  Basta ba walang iyakang magaganap kung may mamatay because they're both asking for it.

Reminds me of one incident while I was still in college.  I parked my car at the AS parking lot (yung gitnang part) as I had a class in AS.  All the Upsilonians stared at me with the underlying statement - "bakit to pumaparada sa tambayan namin?".  Eh parking lot kaya yon.  There were more than 30 of them there, all of them staring at me.  30 against 1 is not really a good ratio.  Good thing they're head (Most Illustrious Fellow) that year, who happens to be a childhood friend, was there.  He shouted my name and waved at me.  I waved back.  His brods turned their stares at somewhere else.  End of story.
me you cannot pass

#7 DimPaul

DimPaul

TRISKELION

• Members
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (Buknoy @ Jul 2 2010, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sa totoo lang, medyo nakakasawa na ang gulo nitong dalawang grupong to.  Hayaan na lang natin silang magpatayan at mag-ubusan ng lahi.  Basta ba walang iyakang magaganap kung may mamatay because they're both asking for it.

Reminds me of one incident while I was still in college.  I parked my car at the AS parking lot (yung gitnang part) as I had a class in AS.  All the Upsilonians stared at me with the underlying statement - "bakit to pumaparada sa tambayan namin?".  Eh parking lot kaya yon.  There were more than 30 of them there, all of them staring at me.  30 against 1 is not really a good ratio.  Good thing they're head (Most Illustrious Fellow) that year, who happens to be a childhood friend, was there.  He shouted my name and waved at me.  I waved back.  His brods turned their stares at somewhere else.  End of story.

Hahahaha....Dapat pala ilipat nila ang tambayan nila sa mismong parking lot pra wala nang ibang pwedeng mag parking dun...oh di kaya ay bilhin na nila yung parking lot na yon at mag lagay sila ng toll gate....end of story

Alam mo kaibigang Bukz...baka nagwagwapohan lng syo yung mga tumitig syo...iba talaga ang dating mo Bukz...sana  minsan mag meet tyo pag uwi ko dyan sa pinas nang makita ko kung ano ba talagang meron syo at madalas kang tinititigan ng mga peps..hehehe
Tau Gamma Phi
Looking good since 1968

#8 musang

musang

Triskelion 1981*Gulf War Vet.* Law Enforcement Officer

• TGP
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Strength Freewill Brotherhood

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (Buknoy @ Jul 2 2010, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Comrade, kaya sila staring mode sa iyo...cute mo raw! smile.gif
but i second you... parking lot as tambayan? hmm?
Have you seen our tambayan at AS? during my time, it used to be at the 3rd floor and i used to frequent the place to hang-out with the UP Triskelions. I believe it was moved somewhere at the ground floor
BTW.. balita sa iyo comrade?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Tau Gamma Phi

#9 Buknoy

Buknoy

Vice-Admin

• Masons
  • 4,161 posts
  • Interests:Climbing Rubber trees, Eating and smoking grass and eating alotta fishballs.

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:13 PM

@musang - OT: Yup, inabot ko yung nasa 3rd floor pa pero it was just for a short time as they had relocated these tambayans sa ground floor ng AS when I was a freshman, where they were moved (yata) to the place between CASAA and Palma Hall Annex if I'm not mistaken.  Pero it was later moved to  Vinzon's Hall although I'm not too sure about this.  

Ayos lang, comrade.  Heto't pa petiks-petiks na at weekend na.

@DP - Bro, mismong sa parking lot located yung tambayan nila talaga.  It's the portion right beneath the big tree facing the AS steps.  Doon lahat sila nakaparada kasi at may unwritten law na sila lang ang pwedeng pumarada sa portion ng parking lot na iyon, which I obviously had no regard for at that time.  Their old tambayan was located at the AS (Palma Hall) basement I believe.  They stayed there for quite a while.

Timbrehan mo ako kung kelan ka uuwi dito.  Lasingan to malamang.
me you cannot pass

#10 renegade

renegade

Fratman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:14 PM

May nagpost nito sa peyups.com kahapon lang ( http://peyups.com/forums/topic.php?id=240&page=7 ):

Diliman Accord

We, the Sigma Rho and Upsilon Sigma Phi Fraternities of the University of the Philippines,
On behalf of our members and conscious of our positive roles as organizations existing principally to
complement the University’s objective of providing learning to the studentry under an atmosphere of
freedom, harmony, tolerance and reconciliation, have today reached this accord:

It is our sincere conviction that the ideals of brotherhood that a member manifests in relation to his own fraternity is without prejudice to, as it should in fact extend to members of the other; and that true brotherhood means love and respect for one’s fellowmen transcending the apparent boundaries of our respective organizations.

In this spirit, our members shall desist from any unfriendly confrontations, whether in or outside the University Campus, and shall endeavor to thresh out differences that may arise in the most peaceful and cordial manner, in conformity with the high dictates of camaraderie, mutual respect and friendly co-existence.

The undersigned shall cause the creation of a joint committee to implement and comply with the letter
and intent of this Accord. Any other fraternity in the University which adheres to the principles underlying this agreement may, if it so desires notify in writing any of the signatory fraternities herein of its agreement or conformity to the principles above-stated and its wishes will be considered and respected.

Done this 2nd day of July 2010,
University of the Philippines campus,
Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines.

#11 uplb_03

uplb_03

Neo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (Sigma Rho Batch 92 @ Apr 24 2009, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hahahaha....ang walang kamatayang away ng Upsilon at Sigma Rho. Haaay, memories, memories....

There was a time though (1999) where there was no conflict. Our Grand Archon, Jonathan Lim, and the Upsilon Most Illustrious Fellow Blas Viterbo* (along with APB Lord Chancellor Mario Zinampan*), happened to be friends. We even formed a political party (again) together, ran together, and the weirdest thing for me was to attend an Upsilon function with our Archon while junior Upsilonians were opening the beer for us.

*please correct me if i got the names wrong

mabuti nga ganyan dapat.. dapat naman talaga sa mga heads nagsisimula. dapat din mapagpatuloy yung pagkakaibigan ng mga members, hindi lang heads.. para tuluy-tuloy ang magandang samahan ng iba't ibang fraternity. para walang away...

#12 lux lucis

lux lucis

Initiate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:48 PM

the rumble ended up in favor of upsilon. 3-2.

#13 seeker95

seeker95

Grand Master

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:14 AM

View Postlux lucis, on 18 July 2010 - 03:48 PM, said:

the rumble ended up in favor of upsilon. 3-2.

Naalala ko that we would have at least 7 incidents per semester. Halos monthly yung mga "sessions" namin nung 1990s. And as my senior brod (Sigma Rho Batch 92) recalled that time of peace, ako din natawa kasi nakatambay ako sa parking lot tapos nakaupo pa ako sa mga monoblock bench nila. hahaha Para akong nananaginip. Kinakampanya pa nila ako ( At least some of them were), as I was a candidate nung panahon na yun, hehehe

Our political alliance was actually pretty good, as both sides cooperated. Nakakatawa na nga lang isipin. In my opinion wala naman talagang panalo o talo sa amin e, kasi paulit-ulit lang yan: a never-ending cycle of violence, a perfect example of an exercise in futility.

#14 apo80s

apo80s

Grand Master

• APO
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:End hazing

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:22 AM

Para palang mga anghel ang mga apo kung 7 times a semester ang session ng mga rosigs at lonsi (I left in '89)  :)

Tambay ka din sa harap ng CSSP office? (yung may mga white benches tapos may water cooler) Doon nag-aabot ng tambay ang mga rosigs na mga kaibigan ng mga poaps.  Yung isa mong brod, mahilig makipag pusoy sa mga brods ko.

Sometime in 86 or 87, yung rosig na mahilig magpusoy sa mga poaps, nanghiram ng tubo sa mga kapusoy niya dahil may intrigue daw at babalik na siya sa bench ng mga rosigs.  Nilagay niya yung tubo sa likod niya -- between the pants and t-shirt niya, pero kita mo (dahil nakatalikod na siya sa amin) at hindi niya tinago sa loob ng shirt niya.  Siga talaga.  Napangiti lang kami. Mayamaya nag clash na (less than 10 ang mga rosigs sa AS that time). Inakyat kayo ng maraming lonsi. Pagkatapos ng clash, sa physics pav ang exit route ng mga rosigs -- ibinalik pa yung tubo. Inihagis niya sa  kawayanan sa tabi ng tambayan ng mga poaps.

#15 seeker95

seeker95

Grand Master

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:48 PM

@apo80s,

Dun kami nakatambay sa AS lobby. Pagpasok mo ng lobby yung bench dun sa kanan. Tapos naging AS 101 sa tapat nyo nung pagbawalan ang tambayan sa lobby.

ok yang kwento mo ha. Mabuti naman at na-isauli pa sa inyo yung tubo. haha. I'll find out who he is. Close naman talaga yung mga grupo natin. Nung minsan sa isang fair, may sinita kami na isang grupo ng lalaki na umiihi sa bakod ng UP Fair. E siguro naka-inom tapos medyo galit sa akin at tinanong na ako kung ano frat ko. Tapos medyo natulak pa ata ako. Ilalabas ko na sana cutter ko pero bigla na lang may nagsabi na Apo daw sya.

Nung nalaman nyang Rhosig ako, tapos ang usapan. Nagtawanan na lang kami at natapos lahat ng problema. hehehe

#16 Iron Bridge

Iron Bridge

Grand Master

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 03:11 PM

View Postseeker95, on 28 November 2010 - 06:14 AM, said:

Naalala ko that we would have at least 7 incidents per semester. Halos monthly yung mga "sessions" namin nung 1990s. And as my senior brod (Sigma Rho Batch 92) recalled that time of peace, ako din natawa kasi nakatambay ako sa parking lot tapos nakaupo pa ako sa mga monoblock bench nila. hahaha Para akong nananaginip. Kinakampanya pa nila ako ( At least some of them were), as I was a candidate nung panahon na yun, hehehe

Our political alliance was actually pretty good, as both sides cooperated. Nakakatawa na nga lang isipin. In my opinion wala naman talagang panalo o talo sa amin e, kasi paulit-ulit lang yan: a never-ending cycle of violence, a perfect example of an exercise in futility.

Was this the PROgressive STUDENTS Party (PRO STUDENTS)?  What position did you run for?

#17 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:16 PM

sorry accidentaly deleted seeker's post.

#18 apo80s

apo80s

Grand Master

• APO
  • 248 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:19 PM

Admin,  I read the post before it was deleted -- Seeker95 said (to the query about what position he was running for) ... something like "yes, I was running for the chairmanship of the PRO STUDENTS party".

#19 apo80s

apo80s

Grand Master

• APO
  • 248 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:39 PM

Seeker95, thanks for the info about the AS101. Now I don't have to refer to that place by description.  

Nakakamiss ang UP.  That's one place na gusto kong makita ng mga anak ko to show them where it all began.  Magugulat ang mga iyon pag nakitang nag-iinuman yung mga brods ko sa tambayan nila (pa simple lang). Dad, you mean, you drank San Miguel in between classes?  Yes!  Why not, it sharpens your mind.  

Best place, really.

#20 seeker95

seeker95

Grand Master

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:31 PM

View PostAdmin, on 28 November 2010 - 07:16 PM, said:

sorry accidentaly deleted seeker's post.
no problems, I mentioned that I was running for chairperson.

#21 seeker95

seeker95

Grand Master

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:38 PM

View Postapo80s, on 28 November 2010 - 07:39 PM, said:

Seeker95, thanks for the info about the AS101. Now I don't have to refer to that place by description.  

Nakakamiss ang UP.  That's one place na gusto kong makita ng mga anak ko to show them where it all began.  Magugulat ang mga iyon pag nakitang nag-iinuman yung mga brods ko sa tambayan nila (pa simple lang). Dad, you mean, you drank San Miguel in between classes?  Yes!  Why not, it sharpens your mind.  

Best place, really.

Totoo yan. Di ko ipagpalit ang naranasan ko dyan. Frustration ko nga na di makakapag-UP mga anak ko kasi nasa US na kami based ng pamilya ko. Pero di natin masasabi diba? Baka bumalik kami.....sana nga.

Mas mahigpit na nga daw sila ngayon sa UP. di na ata pwede mag-yosi sa lobby tapos lahat ng pumapasok sa AS kelangan pakita yung ID. I'm sure makaka-inom pa din kung patago lang hehehe

#22 Iron Bridge

Iron Bridge

Grand Master

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:07 AM

View Postseeker95, on 28 November 2010 - 11:31 PM, said:

If i recall correctly, there were several fraternities in PRO STUDENTS.  Sigma Rho, Upsilon Sigma Phi, Tau Rho Xi to name some.  I would suppose the sorority counterparts would also have been part - Delta Lambda Sigma and Sigma Delta Phi. Am not sure if there were others.

I also suppose you did not win as I am not aware of any Sigma Rhoan Chair of the UP Student Council since the dominance of the Meers, Fernans and Salases of the 1950s.

What a triumph it would have been had you won as it would have shown that inter-fraternity cooperation by what used to be the fiercest of rivals could result in something positive.  Unfortunately, the leftist groups still held sway at that time.

#23 seeker95

seeker95

Grand Master

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:12 AM

@Iron Bridge,

Pare, magkasabay ba tayo sa UP? I'll send you a PM. PRO STUDENT was composed of Upsilon, Sigma Rho and Tau Alpha. But we were also friends with APO and APB, as these fraternities had their respective political leanings.

There were many things which led to our downfall. But the major problem then was the negative perception of people towards frats. May pinatay kasi noon sa campus, and everyone was accusing Sigma Rho as the prime suspect. Naalala ko pa na pag-file ko ng certificate of candidacy ko the next day napatay si Nino Calinao at kami ang sinisi. I'll not comment on that case anymore.

Needless to say, there was a strong negative sentiment towards us. Ilang beses akong namura ng mga tao at binastos. Grabe yun pare. Ayun, I placed third and the winner was Cielo Magno, who was a capable person. Only one of our candidates won: Ms. Tess Gozon, who eventually married the head of Upsilon na si Blas Viterbo.

In hindsight, I would say that we weren't ready for an election and the Calinao incident aggravated the situation. We were already facing an uphill battle due to the lack of diversity in the composition of our political party. Tapos yan pa. Too bad, at least tere was a moment in time where we actually cooperated. Ayun the year after rambulan na naman.

#24 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:18 AM

seeker, syang di ko na maalala kung sino sino tumakbo ng time na yun pero naalala ko pa si cielo magno. hehe

#25 seeker95

seeker95

Grand Master

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:46 AM

@Admin,

Oo bossing, si Cielo. Maganda yun e. Maraming maganda na kandidato nung eleksyon na yun. Tess Gozon (voted as one of Manila's 5 loveliest), Mariz Umali (newscaster),  Cielo Magno. Kahit di tayo nanalo at least maganda ang view ko....hehehehe

#26 Guest_admeen_*

Guest_admeen_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:05 AM

nga ano. kaya pala namumukhaan ko si mariz umali...tumakbo pala yun dati.

#27 Buknoy

Buknoy

Vice-Admin

• Masons
  • 4,161 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:58 PM

View Postseeker95, on 28 November 2010 - 11:31 PM, said:

Alam mo tol, parang kilala kita.  Kung ikaw yung tumakbong chair under pro-students, ikaw din yung nanalong councilor prior to that na nag-top sa eleksyon na independent.  Tama ba ako?  Judging from your batch sa Rhosig na nakalagay sa handle mo, ikaw nga talaga yung kilala ko.  

Musta na, Mr. Child wonder?  PM mo ako tol kung tama hula ko.
me you cannot pass

#28 renegade

renegade

Fratman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

Galing sa fb ng UPD CSSP:

Memo on an incident of fraternity-related violence (07/31/11)
by CSSP Student Council on Sunday, July 31, 2011 at 9:20pm

MEMORANDUM ON AN INCIDENT OF FRATERNITY-RELATED VIOLENCE

July 31, 2011

ATTN: College of Social Sciences and Philosophy (CSSP) Administration, CSSP-based organizations, CSSP students

We have confirmed information that, in a brawl last night around the hours of 11:00PM of July 30, 2011 to 1:00AM of July 31, 2011, a fellow UP student was physically assaulted by multiple men. The exact location of the incident has remained unidentified. The student is currently recuperating from the assault. Initial reports indicate that his attackers are members of Sigma Rho.

The UP student who does not wish to be identified by name is an alumnus of the Department of Political Science in the College, an alumnus of CSSP-based organizations BUKLOD CSSP and UP Association of Political Science Majors (UP APSM), and a member of Upsilon Sigma Phi. He is currently taking his degree in Juris Doctor at the UP College of Law.

There is no room for brutish violence, in whatever form, for whatever reason, and inflicted on whomever, within the confines of this University. An Iskolar para sa Bayan who cannot extend his sense of brotherhood beyond his fraternity, even at least with his fellow students who are not part of his Greek-lettered society, CANNOT be expected to extend his sense of brotherhood to the larger Filipino society. How do we serve the nation if we choose to harm even members of our own community?

In cooperation with the Law Student Government, the CSSP Student Council has been working since summer to find a final resolution to the problem of fraternity-related violence and to push for lasting peace and order in the UP community. The CSSPSC and the LSG are committed to exert justice on such incidents and on the culture of violence amongst fraternities in the University. No more extensions. No more excuses. Non-commmitment to peace will be interpreted as commitment to perpetuate the culture of violence among fraternities in the University of the Philippines. The latter shall NOT be tolerated and taken lightly. We will urge the College Administration and the University Administration to implement STRINGENT and FORCEFUL sanctions on fraternities who will not commit themselves to peace and push for the implementation of just action on and for the involved parties in the incident specified above.

We urge the students of our College to join their voice in the fight against fraternity-related violence in the University. Be part of our call by reporting any incident of violence to your CSSP Student Council.

Iskolar para sa Bayan, wakasan ang karahasan!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users